Porn to Purity, a ministry and website devoted to helping people recover from porn addiction has a list of 24 purity resolutions for 2012.
The organization is run by Jeff and Marsha Fisher. Jeff was a minister at the time that he was caught storing porn on his work computer. He and his wife 'had to leave the area,' according to Jeff. You can read his story here.
Seeing as Jeff and Marsha are people of God, so their resolutions are kinda God-oriented.
OK, a lot God-oriented.
- I resolve to go to a Christian counselor for the first time.
- I resolve to go to a sexual support group for the first time.
- I resolve to read a book on sexual purity. Anything from Laaser, Carnes, or Weiss is awesome!
- I resolve to fully disclose my sexual struggles to another person of the same gender.
- I resolve to read my bible everyday asking God to help me with my sexual struggles.
- I resolve to put Covenant Eyes (accountability software) on all of my computers.
- I resolve to have a friend block the questionable channels on my TV.
- I resolve to throw away all DVDs with sexual content or nudity.
- I resolve to stop surfing through the Sunday circulars for sensual material.
- I resolve to throw away or unsubscribe to all magazines that get me sexually excited.
- I resolve to allow someone to keep me accountable to my I-Tunes downloads.
- I resolve to not go see any movies without researching them on a site like Plugged In.com
- I resolve to keep looking for an accountability partner until I find a good one.
- I resolve to let my minister know about my sexual struggles and be a part of my “safe” team.
- I resolve to get rid of any music that is sexual explicit or stimulating.
- This year I resolve to call someone everyday so I can stay connected and stay pure.
- This year I resolve to dump my girlfriend / boyfriend who is hindering my desire to be sexually pure.
- This year I resolve to make sure my home and work computer are in public view.
- This year I resolve to get some help from a counselor so I can stop masturbating.
- This year I resolve to dress in a way that is modest and doesn't cause a stumbling block to others.
- This year I resolve to value others instead of objectify. Somebody’s daughter. Somebody’s son.
- This year I resolve to begin jotting my feelings and struggles in a journal or blog.
- This year I resolve to have a purity plan in place every time I travel.
- This year I resolve to ask Jesus to heal me from the emotional ties I have to old boyfriends / girlfriends.
In other words, avoid getting horny, or doing/watching/hearing/anything that might make you remotely horny, outside of the horny (but Christian) stuff you do with your significant other.
Be sure to check out Porn to Purity's other resources, such as:13 Tips For Dealing With Triggery Girls at Work
Girls in Church: A Tough Trigger
Triggered By the Morning DJs
Tough Triggers: Magazines, Catalogs and Circulars
Dealing With Tough Triggers: The Shower
A Tough Trigger: In the Bed Alone
Happy new year!